Hi everyone and welcome. As I mention in the blog header and in my about page, this is Matteo Niccoli’s blog of Topics in Geophysics, Planetary Exploration, Image Processing, Digital Cartography, and Visualization.
My goal would be, once established a stable readership, to publish original material at least twice a month. Posts will be generally in the form of either tutorials or case studies, often with data and results made available. Although this is not strictly a Matlab blog I will frequently work in Matlab and share my Matlab code.
In the first 12-18 months I plan to publish a number of post series covering topics in the following areas:
- Lending you a hand with (learning) image processing and analysis
- Perceptually improved colormaps for data visualization
- Geophysical and petrophysical modeling in Matlab
- Visualization tips for geoscientists (in Surfer and Matlab)
- Geophysics of impact craters
- Semiautomatic filtering of acquisition footprint in seismic data and in digital images (moiré pattern)
- Exploration gravity – data acquisition and processing
- Exploration gravity – data enhancement and interpretation
I will welcome submissions from readers, with probably one or two calls for submissions a year. You write the piece, I take care of publishing and promoting it. For the first 12 months I already received a couple of solid submissions. Once ready for new submissions I will activate a submission page. Initially I will rely solely on my judgment to select the right pieces. Essentially, if the material is well written, interesting for the blog audience, and original, I will publish it, although I reserve the right to edit it or request additional work, and I will split the content if lenghty. Over time, depending obviously on the success of the blog, I would like this to become a peer-reviewed venue with a panel of editors/reviewers on staff. Please notice however that I am not looking for pure research submissions but rather pieces that can be read and enjoyed by a diverse audience, not just specialists.
Contributions are on a voluntary basis, with no monetary compensation.
NEWS AND REVIEWS
Finally, when time permits, I will post reviews and news on software, resources, books, technology. Planned topics currently include
- Creating a seismic terrain slice in OpendTect:
- Visualizing Plate Tectonics
- Moon and Mars exploration
So welcome to MyCarta!